South indian, Mains
1. Firstly, in a pressure cooker heat 1 tsp ghee.
2. Add ½ cup rice, ½ cup moong dal / yellow split gram. saute for a minute or until it turns aromatic.
3. Further, add 4 cups water and ½ tsp salt. mix well. cover and pressure cook for 5 whistles on medium flame.
4. Once the pressure settles down, open the cooker and give a good mix.
5. Furthermore, in a pan heat 2 tbsp ghee. also add 1 tsp cumin seeds / jeera, ½ tsp crushed pepper, 1 inch finely chopped ginger, 2 slit green chillies, 10 halved cashew nuts and a pinch of hing / asafoetida.
6. Saute on low flame until cashew nuts turn golden brown.
7. Pour the tempering over cooked rice and dal mixture. give a good mix, add more ghee if required.
8. Finally, serve ven pongal / khara pongal with coconut chutney and sambar.