Veg Biryani Rice
South indian, Mains
Dindigul Food Court
Cooking rice for biryani
1. Firstly, in a large vessel boil 8 cups water along with 2 bay leaf, 1 inch cinnamon stick, ½ tsp cloves, 1 star anise, ½ tsp pepper, 2 tsp oil and 1 tsp salt.
2. Now add 1½ basmati rice, soaked for 20 minutes. stir well.
3. Further boil for 10 minutes or till the rice is almost cooked. (do not cook the rice completely, as it will get cooked in dum while preparing biryani)
4. Drain off the water and rinse with cold water to stop cooking process. keep aside.
1. Firstly, in a large kadai heat 2 tbsp oil and 1 tbsp ghee.
2. Further add 1 bay leaf, 2 inch cinnamon stick, ½ tsp cloves, 1 star anise, 4 cardamom, 1 tsp shah jeera. saute till the spices turn aromatic.
3. Add in 1 finely chopped onions and saute well.
4. Also add 1 tsp ginger garlic paste and saute.
5. Furthermore add 2 cups mixed vegetables (carrot, gobi, peas, potato, beans) and saute for 2 minutes.
6. Additionally add 1 cup curd, 1 tsp red chilli powder, ½ tsp turmeric powder, 2 tsp biryani masala powder, 1 tsp salt and 2 tsp coriander-mint paste.
7. Saute on low flame else curd might curdle.
8. Further add 1 cup water. cover and cook for 15 minutes.
9. Cook till the vegetables are almost cooked.
10. Now add 15 cubes paneer and mix well.
11. Finally biryani gravy is ready.
Assembling / layering veg dum biryani
1. Firstly, in a thick bottomed deep vessel spread in a layer of prepared biryani gravy.
2. Further layer with cooked rice.
3. Also spread few chopped mint, coriander, fried onions and saffron water.
4. As a third layer, spread biryani gravy.
5. Repeat layering with cooked rice, saffron water, fried onions and biryani masala.
6. Also top with a tbsp of ghee, mint and coriander.
7. Close and seal with dough.
8. Simmer for 15 minutes.
9. Finally, serve hyderabadi dum biryani with raita or mirchi ka salan.
1. Firstly, if you do not want to seal with dough then just cover with aluminum foil and cook.
2. Also add vegetables of your choice to make it more nutritious.
3. Additionally, use thick bottomed vessel and cook the biryani on low flame, else the biryani might burn at the bottom.
4. Finally, hyderabadi veg dum biryani taste great when served after 2-3 hours of preparation.