Urad Dal Dosa
South indian, Mains
1. Firstly, in a large bowl, soak 3 cups of dosa rice / sona masuri rice and 1/2 tsp methi seeds / fenugreek leaves for atleast 5 hours.
2. Furthermore, soak 1 cup urad dal / black gram skinned for 3 hours.
3. Drain the water from urad dal and keep aside. transfer the soaked urad dal into blender and blend to smooth and fluffy batter. collect it into a large bowl and keep aside.
4. Further, blend the soaked rice along with 1 cup thin poha / beaten rice adding water if required. transfer to the bowl of urad dal batter.
5. Mix well making sure the batter has combined completely. also clean the sides of the bowl with your hand.
6. Cover and ferment in a warm place for 8-12 hours depending on the climate.
7. The next day you will notice that the batter has raised indicating that it is well fermented. additionally, mix the batter slightly.
8. Further scoop the required batter in a different bowl. add salt to taste to the batter and mix well.
9. Heat a griddle. smear some oil over the tawa and wipe off with a tissue paper. (do not add oil if using non-stick pan)
10. Furthermore, sprinkle some water and wipe off with wet cloth. pour a ladleful of the batter on it and spread it in a circular motion. also smear a little oil over it.
11. Then cover the dosa for a minute and cook till the bottom of dosa turns golden brown.
12. Finally, fold over to make a semi-circle or a roll and serve immediately with coconut chutney and sambar.