Thai Mango Sticky Rice Dessert (khao Niaow Ma Muang)
Flavours Of Asia
1. Rinse and drain 2 cups of sweet or glutinous rice, until the water clears. soak rice for at least 1 hour. it is best to leave overnight if you want it to cook faster.
2. Boil water in a steamer, and pour rice inside of cheesecloth and place in steamer covered. check after 10 to 15 minutes to see if the grains are tender. if not, cook longer and taste again. it should be chewy but not hard in the middle of the grain. transfer to a bowl and let cool.
3. Meanwhile, combine 1 can coconut milk, 1/2 cup sugar, and 2 pinches salt in a pot and bring to a slight boil.
4. Pour half of coconut creme sauce into rice, stir well, and let it cool and soak for about 10 minutes.
5.. In a small bowl, make a cornstarch slurry by combining the 1 tbsp cornstarch and some cold water. stir into the rest of the sauce, and heat on low until thickened.
6. Peel mango, slice around pit, and slice on a diagonal. serve mango slices along rice, sprinkle sesame seeds, and ladle additional sauce on rice and mangoes.