Thai Chicken Curry
For panang curry paste
1. To make the curry paste, soak 10 dried red chillies in hot water for 10-15 minutes or until softened. remove the chillies from the water (it doesn’t matter if you don’t drain them completely as some water is fine). reserve the chilli soaking water.
2. Roughly chop the chillies and then place them into the bowl of a food processor. then add 3 cm finely chopped galangal, 1 finely chopped lemongrass stalk, 3 roughly chopped asian red shallots, few chopped coriander roots, 4 cloves of garlic, 3 destemmed and sliced kaffir lime leaves, zest of 1/2 kaffir lime, 2 tsp shrimp paste, 1/2 tsp cumin powder, 1 tsp coriander powder, 1 tbsp roasted peanuts.
3. Blend until smooth, adding some of the chilli soaking water a tablespoon at a time if the ingredients aren’t blending smoothly.
For thai panang chicken curry
4. Heat 2 tbsp vegetable oil in a saucepan over medium heat. add half the curry paste prepared in the above step. cook and stir for about 2 minutes.
5. Then add 500 gms thinly sliced chicken thigh fillets and stir-fry until the chicken starts to colour.
6. Stir through 3/4 cup coconut milk. cover and reduce the heat to low. simmer for 30 minutes. taste the finished curry for seasoning.
7. Add 1.5 tbsp fish sauce and 1.5 tbsp palm sugar and taste again to see if you would like to add more.
8. Transfer to a serving plate. drizzle 2 tbsp coconut cream and top with kaffir lime leaves and slices of red chilli.