Tetor Dal/bitter Gourd Dal
It's very light on stomach, nutritious and very easy to make.
1. Wash 1 cup of moong dal / petite yellow lentils, 7-8 pieces of bottle gourd / lauki cut into medium chunks.
2. Now pressure cook the washed moong dal and lauki together with enough water for 3-4 whistles.
3. Once the pressure releases, whisk the dal gently for 2-3 minutes.
4. Cut 2 medium size bitter gourd / karela into small round pieces, fry it in mustard oil for 3-4 minutes until they are golden in colour. keep it aside.
5. Heat around 2 tsp oil, add 1 dry red chilli, 2 bay leaves, 1 tsp mustard seeds, 1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds and fry it for few seconds.
6. Next add the boiled dal along with the water and boiled lauki, add the fried bitter gourd, salt to taste, 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, around 1 tsp sugar, add some more warm water if needed. add 2-3 slitted green chilies.
7. Cook the dal in a medium flame for about 5-6 minutes.
8. Lastly add around 1 tsp of ginger paste and a dollop of ghee, mix it well and again cook it for 3-4 minutes and it's done.
1. You can skip the bottle gourd and make this dal just with bitter gourd too.
2. This recipe serves 2-3 people.