Steamed Dahi Bhalla
1. Rinse 2 cups urad dal and 1 cup moong dal in water a couple of times. then soak both the lentils overnight or for at least 4-5 hours. drain them very well.
2. Add the lentils to a grinder jar along with 1/2 tsp cumin seeds and a generous pinch of asafoetida. you can also add 1 tsp of roughly chopped ginger if you want.
3. Add water in parts and grind all the ingredients to a smooth fluffy batter. on touching the batter, it should not feel grainy.
4. Take the ground batter in a bowl. add salt as per taste, crushed black pepper to taste, crushed coriander seeds and a packet of eno.
5. Stir the batter briskly for a couple of minutes. this brisk stirring makes the batter more light and fluffy.
6. Now apply a drop of oil to each of the compartment and add spoonful of the batter to each of them. keep it for 15-20 minutes on low heat and slowly you will see that the batter takes the shape of mould and becomes little golden and is ready to come out. steam all the bhalla's the same way.
7. Once all the bhalla's are done, then take hot water in a wide bowl or pan and add the bhalla's to the water. soak them for 20 to 25 minutes.
8. Take each bhalla, flatten and press between your palms to remove excess water. do this with all the bhalla.
9. Now place all the bhalla's in a serving pan, add curd, salt to taste, roasted cumin seeds powder, red chilli powder, red chutney, green chutney and aloo bhujia. your steamed bhallas are ready to serve.