1. Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a pan and add 2 medium thinly sliced potatoes and 1 sliced onion once it is hot.
2. Toss them till they are slightly brown.
3. Remove the potatoes and onions and keep them aside.
4. Break 4 eggs in a bowl and whisk them. add salt and pepper to taste. do not overbeat the eggs.
5. Quickly transfer the egg mixture into the potatoes and onion while they are still hot and mix.
6. Leave this for 5 minutes and you will notice the eggs curdling a bit as they got semi cooked due to the heat of potatoes and onions.
7. Now put the frying pan on heat again and add the rest of the oil.
8. Add the egg, potato and onion mix and let it cook on slow heat for some time, till it is golden brown.
9. Keep a close watch and once it’s cooked from one end, flip it over and let it cook on the other end too.
10. Turn the heat off and let your egg cook from inside for few minutes.
11. Cut into wedges and serve hot or cold.
Notes & tips
1.The frying pan being used should not be too heavy as it will cause problems while flipping the omelette. you can use a non-stick pan if a seasoned cast iron frying pan is not available.
2. Thinly slice the potatoes and dry them immediately to prevent browning.
3. Use extra virgin olive oil if possible to maintain the authentic taste of the spanish omelette.
4. Move the egg mixture to the potatoes and onions while they are still hot.
5. Curdling of eggs is a good sign that the eggs are ready to be cooked.
6. Wait patiently while the egg is cooking on one side but keep a close watch.
7. Flip the omelette carefully to avoid breaking it.
8. Serve hot or cold with salad or bread.