Homemade curd preparation
1. Firstly, take 1 cup milk in a heavy-bottomed vessel. stir in 2 tbsp milk powder to get more creamy curd.
Stir well making sure there are no lumps.
2. Now add 7 cups milk and mix well.
3. Get the milk to boil on medium flame stirring occasionally. turn off the flame and allow to cool slightly (lukewarm).
4. Transfer the milk into another vessel. (you can use the same vessel to set the curd)
5. Now stir in 1/2 tsp curd into lukewarm milk. use whole red chilli (with its stalk/head) if you want to make a curd without culture or without using curd / dahi.
6. Cover and rest in a warm place for 8 hours. you can also use instant pot / yogurt setter to set the curd if you are living in cold places.
7. After 8 hours, the milk will be set into curd.
8. Now refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours to have a very thick and creamy curd.
Kesar pista shrikhand preparation
9. In a large bowl, place a sieve and spread a muslin cloth. pour in 2 cups of prepared curd. (you can also use store brought curd here)
10. Tie the cloth and allow to rest for 2 hours or until the water drops completely. refrigerate, to prevent curd from turning sour.
11. The curd turns thick and creamy. (you can alternatively use store brought hung curd or greek yogurt and skip these steps)
12. Take the hung curd into a large bowl and mix well.
13. Add in 1/2 cup powdered sugar, 2 tbsp saffron water and 1/4 tsp cardamom powder. mix well making sure everything is well combined.
14. Finally, garnish with 10 chopped pistachios and serve shrikhand chilled.