simmered with broth. That’s how you update your rice game.
1. Heat a pan on medium to low flame. add 2 tbsp oil, 1 tbsp minced garlic, 1 (1/2 cup) diced onion. cook for 3 minutes.
2. Then add 1 medium diced tomato. cook till soft and mushy. further, add 2 cups rice. stir for a minute.
3. Then add 4 cups of chicken or vegetable broth (or combination of both).
4. Taste and season accordingly. add salt to taste, chilli powder or any seasoning of your choice.
5. Bring it to a boil on high heat. then reduce to medium-high heat. cook for 5-7 minutes. stir occasionally till water bubbles subside to the below surface.
6. Cover and cook on low heat for 15 minutes.
7. Open and check. if you still feel rice at bottom is soggy, cover and cook for some more time.
8. Garnish with cilantro, mint or parsley leaves.
1. Any kind of rice will work. (make sure to follow the appropriate cooking instructions)
2. You may use chicken or vegetable stock, or combination of both. the more chicken stock the more flavorful your pilaf will turn out.
3. You may add any seasoning of your choice.
4. Be careful when adding salt as stock is already salty. always taste the liquid before adding the seasoning.
5. Before adding the rice to the pot, add any vegetables of your choice and sauté to make vegetable rice pilaf.