South indian, Mains
1. Firstly, in a pressure cooker dry roast ¼ cup moong dal / yellow split gram until they turn aromatic.
2. Now add 1 cup water and 1 tsp ghee. pressure cook for 3 whistles on medium flame.
3. In a large kadai add in the pressure cooked moong dal, 1¼ cups water, ½ tsp salt and boil.
4. Now in a tawa, dry roast ½ cup rava / semolina / sooji on low flame until it turns aromatic.
5. Further add in roasted rava slowly, stirring continuously. stir and mash making sure there are no lumps. stir until the water is absorbed completely, and rava is cooked. cover and keep aside until you prepare the tempering.
6. To prepare tempering heat 3 tbsp ghee and add 1 tsp cumin seeds, 2 tsp crushed pepper, 1 inch chopped ginger and 1 slit green chilli.
7. Further, add halved 10 cashew nuts and roast until cashews turn golden brown.
8. Now add a pinch hing / asafoetida and few curry leaves. allow to splutter.
9. Pour the tempering over rava-moong dal mixture and mix gently.
10. Mix until the pongal turns smooth and of silky consistency.
11. Finally, enjoy rava pongal with coconut chutney.