South indian, north indian, Mains
1. Soak 1 cup rajma / kidney beans in enough water for 12 hours.
2. Drain off the water and add transfer to a pressure cooker with 1 bay leaf, 1 tsp salt, 1 black cardamom and 4 cups water. pressure cook for 3-4 whistles or till rajma gets cooked.
3. In a large kadai heat 1 tbsp ghee and saute 1 tsp cumin seeds, 1 inch cinnamon and 5 cloves.
4. Add in 1 finely chopped onion, 1 tsp ginger garlic paste, 1 slit green chilli and saute until the onions turn golden brown.
5. Now add 2 cups tomato pulp. cover and cook for 10 minutes, or until the oil is separated.
6. Further keeping the flame on low add 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, 1 tsp kashmiri red chilli powder, 1 tsp coriander powder, 1/2 tsp cumin powder, 1/2 tsp aamchur / dry mango powder, 1/2 tsp garam masala powder and 1/2 tsp salt. saute until the spices turn aromatic.
7. Add in cooked rajma and mix well. cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until the curry thickens.
8. Now add 1 tsp crushed kasuri methi / dry fenugreek leaves, 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves and mix well.
9. Finally, enjoy rajma with hot jeera rice.