1. Boil 4 medium sized potatoes.
2. Let it cool down. peel the potatoes and grate it.
3. Add 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp black pepper powder, 1/2 tsp cumin powder, 1/2 tsp red chilli powder, 3 tbsp cornflour, 5 tbsp bread crumbs. mix it well.
4. Make a soft non-sticky dough. cover it and keep it in the fridge for 30 minutes.
5. Brush oil on a plate and grease oil in hand as well.
6. Now take the dough and flatten slightly thick over the greased plate.
7. Cut round using a cookie cutter or a glass. makes eyes with straw and mouth with spoon.
8. Deep fry the potato smilies in hot oil. fry until it turns golden brown and crispy keeping the flame on medium.
9. Finally, serve potato smilies with tomato sauce or mayonnaise.
1. Ensure the potatoes are not overcooked, or else they will be mushy and contain a lot of moisture.
2. You can increase the quantity of breadcrumbs if there is more moisture in the dough.
3. It is important to rest the dough so, it can form shape, stay firm and retain the smiley shape while frying in oil.
4. Health-conscious people can bake the potato smileys on 180°c for 22 to 25 minutes in a preheated oven.