South indian, Mains
1. Firstly, in a pan heat 3 tsp oil and splutter 1 tsp mustard seeds, 1 tsp chana dal / bengal gram, ½ tsp cumin seeds, 1 tsp urad dal / black gram skinned, a pinch hing / asafoetida, few curry leaves, 1 slit green chilli and 1 inch finely chopped ginger. saute and splutter on medium flame.
2. Further, add 1 sliced onion and saute well. do not brown the onions.
3. Additionally, add ¼ tsp turmeric powder and saute for a minute.
4. Now add 5 boiled and mashed potatoes, ½ tsp salt and mix well.
5. In a small bowl dissolve 1 tbsp besan / gram flour in ¼ cup water. mix to make a smooth and lump free batter. pour the besan mixture over aloo.
6. Also, add 1 cup water and mix well.
7. Cover and cook for 10 minutes or until the besan is cooked well.
8. After 10 minutes the aloo bhaji will thicken, so adjust consistency as required.
9. Furthermore add 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves, 1 tsp lemon juice and mix well.
10. Finally, enjoy poori masala with hot poori or chapati.