Pethe Ka Bharta
North indian, Mains
1. Heat 2 tsp oil in a pressure cooker and add 1 tsp cumin seeds / jeera, 1 tsp fennel seeds / saunf, 1 tsp nigella seeds / kalonji and 1/4 tsp methi / fenugreek seeds.
2. When the seeds crackle, add a pinch of hing / asafoetida, 1/2 cup finely chopped onions and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
3. Add 4 cups chopped red pumpkin, 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, 1/4 tsp chilli powder and salt to taste with 1/2 cup of water and pressure cook for 2 whistles or till the pumpkin is over cooked.
4. Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
5. Add 2 tsp amchur / dried mango powder. mix well and mash lightly with the back of a spoon and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute.
6. Serve hot garnished with a sprig of coriander.
This recipe serves 4.