North indian, Mains
1. Take 1 kg kaddu / pumpkin (green or yellow). remove the seeds and wash thoroughly. cut in lengthwise slices first, then cut them into small pieces.
2. Add kaddu in pressure cooker. add 1.5 cups water, salt to taste, 1/2 tsp turmeric powder. mix well and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
3. Heat 2-3 tbsp oil and add 1/2 tsp methi / fenugreek seeds, 1 tbsp saunf / fennel, 1 tsp cumin seeds / jeera, 1/4 tsp hing / asafoetida and saute.
4. Then add 1 sliced onion. stir fry until it turns light brown. add few curry leaves (optional). also add 1 tsp ginger garlic paste. mix.
5. Next, add 1.5 roughly chopped tomato. cook till they turn soft and mushy.
6. Add 2 dried red chillies. you can also add green chillies (optional). next, add 1.5 tsp red chilli powder, 1.5 tsp coriander powder. mix and cook until oil seperates.
7. Add 1.5 tsp amchur powder, 2-3 tsp jaggery. cook until jaggery melts. add boiled kaddu, salt to taste. cook until oil seperates and till the desired consistency (for 5-6 minutes).
8. Add chopped cilantro, 1/2 tsp garam masala. cook for 1 minute. turn off the gas and cover lid for 5-10 minutes.