Pesto Pasta Salad
Sanjeev Kapoor Khazana
For making pesto
1. Combine together 1 tbsp grated parmesan cheese, 1 tbsp pine nuts, salt to taste, crushed black peppercorns to taste and grind to a fine powder.
2. Add 5-6 garlic cloves, continue to grind, add 1 cup basil leaves, 1/2 cup olive oil and grind to coarse paste.
For making white sauce
3. For making white sauce, heat 2 tbsp butter in a non-stick pan. add 2 tbsp refined flour and cook for a minute.
4. Add 3 cups milk and whisk well so that there are no lumps. cook for 4-5 minutes or till it becomes thick. set aside.
For making pasta
4. In a pot add enough water to boil the macaroni pasta. once the water boils add some salt and then the pasta.
5. Let the pasta cook for about 5-6 minutes. (read the instructions for cooking on the package). once the macaroni pasta is cooked, drain the pasta and run cold over it till the pasta cools. keep aside.
6. Now heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a non-stick pan. add 10 sliced button mushrooms and sauté for 4-5 minutes.
7. Add 10-12 cloves of chopped garlic and sauté till light brown. add 1 tsp red chilli flakes, prepared pesto and white sauce, mix well.
8. Add 1/2 cup boiled corn kernels, 10-12 halved cherry tomatoes, a pinch of salt, a pinch of crushed black peppercorn and cooked pasta. mix well. cook for a minute and add 2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese.
9. Garnish with sprig of basil. and serve immediately.