South indian, Mains
1. Wash 1 cup urad dal / black gram skinned and 3 cups rice separately.
2. In two seperate bowls, soak urad dal and rice for 4 to 5 hours.
3. After 4 to 5 hours, remove water from both and grind them both separately and make a fine paste.
4. Now mix them well and keep at room temperature for 8 to 10 hours in summers and 24 hours in winters until it ferments.
5. After fermentation, add 4 tbsp besan / gram flour, 2 tbsp sugar, 1 tsp salt and water to make a smooth batter/ paste. keep this paste / batter in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
6. After 2 hours this batter is ready to be cooked into sheets of dosa.
7. Take some oil / butter on a medium hot plain pan / dosa pan. now throw some water on pan and clean it with the help of kitchen towel/ tissue paper. pan is now ready to make dosa. slow the flame now.
8. Take some batter in a small steel bowl with flat bottom or take serving spoon and pour the batter on pan and make consistent sheet of dosa.
9. After 1 minute when the dosa starts to dry from above put some oil and spread well. now turn the flame to medium.
10. Cook for another 2 minutes until the dosa is golden brown or reddish in color.
11. Your paper dosa is ready! take it off the pan and serve it with coconut and peanut sauce / chutney.