Palak Toovar Dal
North indian, Mains
Your Food Lab
1. Clean, wash and soak the toovar dal / split pigeon peas for 1 hour.
2. Drain, add the turmeric powder, green chillies, salt and ¾ cup of water in a pressure cooker, mix well and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
3. Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
4. Mash the dal lightly and keep aside.
5. Heat the oil in a deep kadhai and add the cumin seeds.
6. When the seeds crackle, add the cloves, bayleaves, asafoetida and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
7. Add the spinach, mix well and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
8. Add the prepared dal, ¼ cup of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
9. Serve hot with roti or rice.
The quantity mentioned is sufficient for 1 person only.