South indian, Breakfast
1. Firstly, dry roast 1 cup rolled oats for 5 minutes. roast until the oats turn aromatic and crisp. keep aside. if using instant oats, skip this step.
2. In a large kadai, heat 1 tbsp oil and splutter 1 tsp mustard seeds, ½ tsp urad dal / black gram skinned, ½ tsp cumin seeds / jeera, few curry leaves and 10 whole cashew nuts. saute until the cashews turn golden brown.
3. Now add 1 inch finely chopped ginger, 2 slit green chillies and ½ finely chopped onion. saute well.
4. Furthermore add ½ finely chopped carrot, 5 finely chopped beans, ¼ finely chopped capsicum, 2 tbsp peas / matar, ½ tsp turmeric powder and ½ tsp salt.
5. Add 2 tbsp water. cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
6. Now add 1 cup water and get it to a boil. if using instant oats, just add ¼ cup water.
7. Once the water comes to a boil, add in the roasted oats and mix well. mix until the oats absorb all the water.
8. Now cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until oats get cooked well.
9. Furthermore add ¼ tsp salt, 2 tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves, 2 tbsp grated coconut and 1 tbsp lemon juice.
10. Finally, enjoy vegetable oats upma as a healthy breakfast or pack in your lunch box.