South indian, Breakfast
1. Firstly, wash and soak 1/2 cup moong dal / yellow split gram in water for 5 minutes.
2. Furthermore, heat 1 tsp ghee in a pressure cooker, add 1 tsp cumin seeds and pinch of hing.
3. When they sizzle, add curry leaves and 1 inch chopped ginger. saute till it turns aromatic.
4. Additionally, add 1 small chopped onion, 1 chopped green chilli and saute till they change colour to pinkish.
5. Furthermore, add chopped tomato and fry till they turn soft and mushy.
6. Later add 1/2 chopped carrot and 4 chopped beans (or veggies of your choice) and saute for about 2 to 3 minutes.
7. Drain the water from half cup dal and add along with 1/2 tsp turmeric powder. fry for about 2 to 3 minutes.
8. Furthermore, add 1 cup of oats, salt to taste and fry for about 2 minutes.
9. Pour 4 cups of water. and give a mix.
10. You can adjust the quantity of water to make it mushy or slightly grainy. on a medium flame, pressure cook for two whistle.
11. Finally, serve oats khichdi warm after garnishing with some coriander leaves with raita.
1. Firstly, serve khichdi immediately to avoid turning thick and sticky.
2. Additionally, avoid using chilli and hing if you are preparing for kids.
3. Moreover, if desired you can add little more ghee while serving.
4. Finally, if you are eating after some time then adjust the consistency by adding more water before serving.