South indian, Mains
Mysore rasam powder
1. Firstly, in a heavy bottom kadai take 2 tsp of coriander seeds, ½ tsp of cumin seeds, 2 tsp of chana dal, ½ tsp of black pepper and 2 dried kashmiri red chilli.
2. Furthermore, dry roast the masala on low flame till they turn aromatic.
3. Also add ¼ cup coconut. use dry / desiccated coconut if you are storing masala for long time.
4. Roast the coconut for just a minute and do not burn them.
5. Further, transfer to a blending jar and blend to fine powder without adding any water.
6. Add water and blend to smooth masala paste if you are using fresh coconut and going to consume immediately.
7. Finally, rasam powder is ready. store it in a airtight container or use immediately.
1. Firstly, in a large kadai take 2 chopped tomatoes.
2. Further add 1 cup tamarind juice to it.
3. Also add few curry leaves, ¼ tsp turmeric powder, salt and ½ tsp jaggery (optional).
4. Cover and boil tamarind water for atleast 15 minutes.
5. Further add 1 cup cooked toor dal. make sure to mash the dal completely before adding.
6. Also add 2 cups of water or adjust according to desired consistency.
7. Boil for a minute till the dal turns frothy.
8. Now add 2-3 tsp of prepared mysore rasam powder and mix well.
9. Continue to boil for 2 minutes. do not over boil as the flavours of rasam will be lost.
10. Meanwhile, in a small kadai heat 2 tsps oil.
11. Further, add ¾ tsp mustard seeds, a generous pinch of hing, 2 dried red chilli and few curry leaves.
12. Allow the tempering to splutter.
13. Then pour the tempering over prepared rasam.
14. Also add chopped coriander leaves and give a good mix.
15. Finally, serve mysore rasam with hot steamed rice, idli or with dosas.
1. Firstly, make sure to dry roast the masala on low to medium flame to avoid burning.
2. Furthermore, use dry coconut to prepare masala in large quantity and store.
3. Additionally, make sure to boil the tamarind water along with tomatoes well.
4. Finally, after adding mysore rasam powder never boil south indian rasam for more than 1 or 2 minutes as the flavours will be lost.