South indian, Snacks
1. Take a bowl and add 1 cup (200 gms) curd along with 1/4 inch minced ginger, 3 cups (325 gms) maida / all purpose flour, salt to taste, 1.25 tsp cumin seeds, few curry leaves, 1 tbsp freshly chopped coconut. mix well.
2. Add water little by little and mix to make a thick batter. the batter preferably must be like vada batter consistency.
3. If you happen to add more water and your batter ends up runny, just add little flour and mix.
4. Add 1 tsp baking soda and hot oil and mix well. set this aside for 2 hour depending on your yogurt. if your yogurt is not sour, it is best to leave for an extra hour. since sour yogurt makes these bondas fluffy and light.
5. Heat the oil on medium flame. smear some oil/water to your palm, make a round ball and drop in the hot oil. fry till golden. repeat smearing oil to your fingers every time you drop a bonda. this keeps them in good shape.
6. Keep stirring with a ladle while frying otherwise these get discolored fast.
7. Make them in batches till you finish all your batter.
8. Serve hot or warm with chutney