The Cooking Foodie
1. To a large pot of water add salt and bring to a boil. add 10 oz / 285 gms pasta and cook until al dente according to package directions.
2. Meanwhile, melt 2 tbsp butter with 2-3 tbsp olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. add 1 finely chopped onion, sauté for 2-3 minutes.
3. Add 2-3 crushed garlic cloves and cook for 1 minute more. add 200 gms sliced chestnut mushrooms and 200 gms shimeji mushrooms. season with salt to taste, black pepper to taste and 1 tsp thyme. cook until golden brown and softened, for about 6-7 minutes.
4. Add 1/4 cup white wine and cook until reduced by half.
5. Then add 1 cup chicken/vegetable stock, 1.5 cups cream, 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese, salt to taste, black pepper to taste, 1/4 tsp nutmeg powder and stir. bring to a simmer.
6. Add drained pasta, 3-4 tbsp chopped parsley and toss. if needed add more cream/liquid.
7. Serve immediately.
1. You can use any mushrooms that you like.
2. If you prefer making the recipe without alcohol, replace the wine with cream/stock.
3. You can use heavy cream or half & half.
4. You can use vegetable or chicken stock.