Murgir Laal Jhol
potatoes flavoured with aromatic whole spices
1. Mix 800 gms chicken with 3 gms turmeric powder and 8gms salt. set aside.
2. Soak 4 (3 gms) dried red chillies and 2 (5 gms) kashmiri red chillies in hot water for 20 minutes.
3. In a grinder add 7 gms chopped ginger, 15 gms chopped garlic. grind it along with the soaked chillies into a smooth paste.
4. Heat 30 gms mustard oil. add the spice paste and cook it for 3 minutes until the raw smell of garlic goes away.
5. Add 2 bay leaves and 150 gms sliced onions and fry them for 8 to 10 minutes.
6. Add 150 gms potatoes cut into half and the remaining 8 gms salt and 25 gms yogurt.
7. Continue cooking until potatoes soften slightly, about 10 more minutes.
8. Add the chicken. braise it in the spices on medium heat for 20 minutes.
9. Add 300 ml hot water for the gravy, and cook until the chicken is done and potatoes are tender and juicy.
10. In a sheel nora or mortar pestle grind whole garam masalas namely 4 green cardamom, 3 cloves and 1 inch cinnamon with some water until it forms a smooth paste.
11. Finish by adding the freshly ground garam masala and some raw mustard oil.