rice, seasoned with cumin, coriander, or mint. It is topped with fried onions, for a perfect
Sanjeev Kapoor Khazana
1. Soak 1.5 cups black masoor dal / whole brown lentils in water for 8 hours and then drain.
2. Soak 1.5 cups basmati rice in water for 10 minutes.
3. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a non-stick pan. add 1 tbsp cumin seeds and let the seeds splutter. add 1 tbsp crushed garlic and saute till well browned.
4. Add 1 large finely chopped onion and saute till onions are well browned. add soaked rice, mix well and cook for 2 minutes.
5. Add soaked lentils and mix well, cook for 2 minutes.
6. Add salt to taste, 1 tsp black pepper powder and mix well. add 3 cups boiled water. stir to mix, cover and cook on low heat for 8-10 minutes.
7. Serve hot garnished with browned onions.