1. Firstly in a cooker heat 2 tbsp oil and saute 1/2 finely chopped onion. also saute 1 inch finely chopped ginger and 1 slit green chilli.
2. Additionally, saute 1 finely chopped tomato till it turns soft and mushy.
3. Add in 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, 1/2 tsp red chilli powder, 1 tsp salt and saute.
4. Now add 3/4 cup washed moong-dal and 3 cups water. mix well making sure everything is combined well.
5. Cover and pressure cook on medium flame for 1-2 whistles. open and check the dal once pressure is released. do not mash.
6. Now prepare the tadka by heating a pan with 1 tbsp ghee. then add 1 tsp cumin seeds. let them turn brown.
7. Then add 4 crushed garlic cloves, 1 inch julienned ginger, 1 dried kashmiri red chilli. let the rawness of ginger garlic go.
8. Additionally add 1/4 tsp kashmiri red chilli powder, 1/4 tsp garam masala, a pinch of hing or asafoetida, few curry leaves.
9. Pour the tadka over dal along with 2 tbsp coriander leaves and 1 tbsp lemon juice.
10. Finally, mix the moong-dal tadka and serve with hot rice / roti.