South indian, Mains
To make thinai pongal
1. In a mixing bowl, add 1/2 cup foxtail millet, 1/2 cup moong dal / split yellow gram. wash it gently and soak for 1 hour in 250 ml water.
2. Transfer in a pressure cooker with the water used for soaking. add 250 ml more water, a pinch of turmeric powder, 1 tsp salt. give it a quick mix.
3. Pressure cook for 3 whistles on medium low flame.
To make coconut chutney
4. In mixer grinder, add 1/2 cup grated coconut, 2 tbsp roasted chana dal / bengal gram, 1 green chilli, salt to taste, little water. blend to get a paste.
5. Coconut chutney is ready.
6. Take a small pan. heat 1.5 tbsp ghee, 1/2 tsp cumin seeds, 1 chopped green chilli, 1 inch chopped ginger, 1/4 tsp hing / asafoetida, few cashew nuts, 1 tsp whole peppercorns, few curry leaves.
7. Stir and pour this tempering to the pongal. incase pongal becomes thick, add hot water to adjust its consistency.
8. Transfer the pongal to serving bowls. garnish with fried cashew nuts.