South indian, Mains
1. Soak the bajra / pearl millet (1 cup) and moong dal / yellow split gram (1/2 cup) for minimum for 2-3 hours or overnight.
2. Heat ghee (1 tsp) in a pressure cooker without lid on, add jeera / cumin seeds (1 tsp), 1/2 tsp tumeric powder and allow it to crackle, strain and add the soaked bajra, soaked moong dal, mix well.
3. Add water (5 cups), pressure cook on medium flame for 3-4 whistles, switch off the flame and allow the cooker to depressurize naturally to open the lid. give it a nice stir.
4. Heat ghee (1 tsp) in a wok, add 3-4 slit green chillies, 1 inch julienned ginger, and sauté for a while.
5. Add 1 medium size chopped onion, and cook until translucent.
6. Add 2 medium size diced potatoes and cook for 5-6 minutes. also add 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes, 1/2 cup diced carrots, 1/2 cup green peas and 1/2 cup chopped french beans, mix well.
7. Add 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, 1 tbsp red chilli powder, 1 tbsp coriander powder, 1 tsp garam masala and salt to taste, cook for 3-4 minutes.
8. Add the cooked bajra and dal, stir well and cook further for 4-5 minutes.
9. Heat the ghee (1 tsp) in a tadka pan and add the hing (a pinch), add the tadka to the dal mixture.
10. Finish with some freshly chopped coriander leaves and serve hot.
your Food Lab