North indian, Mains
1. Wash, drain and marinate 500 gms chicken cut in small curry pieces with 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp turmeric powder and 1 tsp red chilli powder. set aside for 30 minutes.
2. Pick 2 cups (50 gms) methi / fenugreek leaves, wash few times and drain the water.
3. Make a paste of 12 cashew nuts.
4. Take a pan, heat 1 tbsp oil and add 2 medium size sliced onions. fry on medium heat for 3-4 minutes till translucent. take out, drain the oil well and set aside to cool.
5. In the oil left off in the pan, add washed and drained methi / fenugreek leaves and fry on medium heat till it is cooked but still retains some colour.
6. To make the onion-tomato-chilli paste, take a blender and add the lightly fried onion, 2 small quartered tomatoes, 2 slit green chillies and 2 tbsp curd / yogurt. blend to a rough paste.
7. Heat oil in a pan or kadai and add 2 tsp ginger garlic paste. fry on low heat for 2 minutes.
8. Add the prepared tomato-onion-chilli paste, mix and fry on medium heat for 2-3 minutes till oil separates.
9. Reduce the heat to low and add all the powdered spices namely 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, 1/2 tsp red chilli powder, 1 tsp coriander powder, 1/2 tsp cumin powder. mix well and cook for 5 minutes on low heat till oil separates.
10. Now add the marinated chicken, mix everything well and fry on high heat for 2-3 minutes.
11. Add 1/2 tsp garam masala powder, mix and fry/bhuno on medium heat for around 10 minutes.
12. Add the cashew paste, fried fenugreek / methi leaves and mix everything well. cook on low heat for around 5 minutes till oil separates.
13. Add 1/2 cup water, mix well and cook covered on low heat for around 15 minutes. serve hot with roti or rice.