Masoor Dal Appe
South indian, Snacks
1. In a bowl take 1/2 cup chana dal / bengal gram, 1/2 cup moong dal / yellow split gram ,1 tbsp toor dal / split pigeon peas, 1 tbsp masoor dal / red lentils and wash everything very well 3-4 times with water.
2. Soak the lentils in enough water for about 3-4 hours.
3. Transfer the soaked lentils into a blender jar. add 3-4 garlic cloves and 2 chopped green chillies. blend everything in mixer using minimum water. transfer the blended mixture into mixing bowl.
4. Add some finely chopped carrots, some finely chopped capsicum, some finely chopped coriander leaves, little turmeric powder, red chilli powder, 1/2 tsp cumin seeds, salt to taste and mix everything together. you can add veggies of your choice.
5. Add 1 tsp eno fruit salt and 1 tsp water to activate it. mix well. this is an instant recipe. so eno fruit salt is used. if you don’t want to use eno then ferment the batter overnight.
6. Heat up appe patra on low heat. add a drop of oil in each mould of appe patra.
7. Add spoonful batter in each mould and a little oil along the edges.
8. Fry appe for about 4-5 minutes from one side. flip the appe over and fry well from other side too.
9. When appe are fried well from both sides, take them out into a dish.
10. Appe are ready. you can serve these with chutney.