South indian, Snacks
1. Firstly, in a large mixing bowl take 1 cup coarse rava / suji / semolina. (use coarse rava else it will turn mushy)
2. Add ½ cup curd, ½ tsp salt and 1 cup water. mix well forming a smooth flowing consistency batter. do not worry if the batter is watery, as rava will absorb water. allow to rest for 20 minutes, or until the rava absorbs well.
3. Meanwhile, prepare masala by heating 3 tsp oil in a tawa. once the oil is hot, add ½ tsp mustard seeds, ½ tsp urad dal / black gram skinned, ½ tsp chana dal / bengal gram and few curry leaves. allow to splutter.
4. Now add 1 finely chopped green chilli, ½ tsp ginger paste and ½ finely chopped onion. saute well.
5. Additionally, add 1 grated carrot and ½ finely chopped capsicum. saute until the vegetables are cooked well.
6. Now keeping the flame on low, add 2 tbsp grated coconut and roast for 2 minutes. transfer the masala mixture to rava batter.
7. Also, add 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves and mix well.
8. Furthermore, add a pinch baking soda or ½ tsp eno fruit salt just before preparing appe and combine well.
9. Heat paniyaram pan / guliyappa pan / appe pan, add few drops of oil inside the holes.
10. Now fill the holes with a tbsp of sooji batter in each. cover and simmer for 2 minutes or until appe gets cooked slightly.
11. Once the base turns golden, flip it over to the other side using a spoon.
12. Simmer further and cook on low heat until it turns golden brown.
13. Finally, serve instant masala paniyaram with tomato chutney or coconut chutney.