This Dal is very easy to make, light on stomach and can be prepared quickly with minimal ingredients without any onion and garlic.
I have made this Dal with Moong Dal (Petite Yellow Lentils) but it can be made with Masoor Dal (Orange Lentil) or Motor Dal (Yellow split peas) as well.
1. Wash 1 cup moong dal / petite yellow lentils well. pressure cook with 2.5 cups of water for 2 whistles.
2. Cut 1 medium size of raw / unripe mango, into thick wedges (lengthwise). heat some water and blanch it for 4-5 minutes. keep it aside. reserve the water.
3. Once the dal is boiled, whisk the dal for 1 minute with a whisker.
4. Heat 1 tsp mustard oil in a pan, add 1 dry red chilli, 3 slit green chilies, 1 tsp mustard seeds and fry it for 30 seconds.
5. Add the blanched mango pieces, salt to taste and cook it for another 3-4 minutes.
6. Add the boiled dal, 1.5 cups of water (use the same water in which mango pieces were blanched), 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, 1 tsp sugar and give everything a nice mix.
7. Allow the dal to cook on a medium flame for about 6-7 minutes and its done. serve it with hot steamed rice and enjoy.
1. This dal is tangy in taste, you can increase the quantity of sugar, if your mango is very sour.
2. This recipe serves 3 people.