1. Firstly, in a large kadai take 2.5 cups water.
2. Add 1 finely chopped green chilli, 1 tsp cumin seeds, 1/4 tsp ajwain, 1/4 tsp baking soda and 1 tsp salt.
3. Mix well and get the water to boil for 3 minutes.
4. Further, add 1 cup rice flour and stir well.
5. Stir continuously until the rice flour absorbs all the water.
6. Break the lumps and form a soft and fluffy mixture.
7. Cover and simmer for 6 minutes or until rice flour is cooked completely.
8. Finally, enjoy khichu topped with peanut oil and pickle masala.
1. Traditionally, papad khar is added in place of baking soda.