1. Firstly, in a large bowl rinse and soak 1/2 cup rice, 1/2 cup yellow split gram or moong dal for 10 minutes.
2. In a cooker heat 1 tsp ghee and add the soaked dal and rice. saute for 2 minutes, or until the dal turns aromatic.
3. Now add 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, 1/2 tsp salt and 3.25 cups water. mix well. cover and pressure cook for 5 minutes.
4. In a large kadai heat 2 tbsp ghee. add 1 tsp cumin seeds, 1 bay leaf and a pinch hing or asafoetida. saute on low flame until the spices turn aromatic.
5. Now add 1 finely chopped onion, 1 tsp ginger garlic paste and saute well.
6. Further, add 1 finely chopped tomato and saute until the tomato turns soft and mushy.
7. Keeping the flame on low add 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, 1 tsp red chilli powder, 1/2 tsp garam masala and 1/2 tsp salt. saute for 2 minutes or until the spices turn aromatic.
8. Now add cooked rice and dal. also, add 1 cup water and mix well adjusting the consistency as required. cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until the flavours are absorbed well.
9. Finally, add 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves and enjoy dal khichdi with pickle and curd.