Khatta Meetha Petha
North indian, Mains
1. Cut 500 gms yellow pumpkin into small pieces. you can make subji without removing the green peel (optional). in this recipe, peel is removed as it takes time to cook. remove the soft part from the top of the pumpkin too.
2. Heat a pan with 2-3 tbsp mustard oil. add 1/2 tsp methi / fenugreek seeds, a pinch of hing / asafoetida. once methi seeds get fried, add 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, 1 tsp ginger paste, 2 minced green chillies, 1 tsp coriander powder. fry it for a while.
3. Add chopped pumpkin, salt to taste, 1/2 tsp red chilli powder. stir it and fry for 2-3 minutes till pumpkin is coated well with the spices.
4. Now, add 1/4 cup water. cover it and cook for 5 minutes on low flame. check it afterwards.
5. After 5-6 minutes, the sabji still needed to become more soft and water also dried up. so we add 1/4 cup more water and cook it for 2-3 minutes.
6. Once pumpkin pieces are soft, add 1/4 tsp garam masala powder, 1/2 tsp amchur / dry mango powder, 2 tsp sugar and chopped coriander leaves.
7. Mix and cook for 1 minute stirring the sabji. khatta meetha petha ki sabji is ready to serve!