North indian, Mains
1. In a bowl, add 200 gms bitter gourd, 1 tsp salt and mix it well. rest the mixture for 30 minutes.
2. In a mixing bowl, add 150 gms gram flour / besan, 150 gms curd, 300 ml water and mix it well to make a batter. keep aside.
3. Take a bowl, place a strainer on it. add the bitter gourd on it and squeeze it properly with the help of a spoon.
4. Heat sufficient oil in a heavy skillet and deep fry these until golden brown and crispy. drain it on an absorbent paper.
5. Heat 40 ml oil in a skillet, add 1/4 tsp hing / asafoetida, 2 dry red chillies, 1 tsp mustard seeds, 1 tsp cumin seeds, 1/2 tsp coriander seeds, 1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds and stir for 2-3 minutes.
6. Then, add 115 gms sliced onions and fry till translucent or until it turns golden brown in color.
7. Add 15-20 curry leaves, 2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp red chilli powder, 1 tsp turmeric powder and mix it well.
8. Now, add the prepared mixture, 600 ml water little by little in it and mix it well. bring it to a boil. cook for 12-15 minutes on medium heat.
9. Then, add the fried bitter gourd in it and mix it well. cook for another 8-10 minutes on medium heat.
10. Add 1 tsp garam masala powder, 2 tsp kasuri methi / dry fenugreek leaves and mix it well. cook for 5-7 minutes on medium heat.
11. Add 2 tbsp coriander leaves and mix it well. remove it from heat. garnish with coriander leaves. serve hot.
This recipe serves 2-3 people.