Karela Aloo Ki Subji
North indian, Mains
1. Cut bitter gourd from both sides, cut it half from middle and chop in small pieces each side with the help of a knife.
2. In a mixing bowl, add 550 gms bitter gourd, 1 tsp salt and mix it well. rest for 10-12 minutes.
3. In a small bowl, add 1 tsp fennel seeds, 1 tsp nigella seeds / kalonji, 1 tsp mustard seeds, 1 tsp cumin seeds, 1 tsp fenugreek seeds and mix it well. keep aside.
4. In bowl of bitter gourd, add 1 litre water and wash it well. transfer this into a another bowl and keep aside.
6. Heat 30 ml oil in a skillet, add the washed bitter gourd and mix it well.
7. Cook for 8-10 minutes on medium heat or until it turns golden brown in color. remove it from heat and keep aside.
8. Heat 30 ml oil in another skillet, add the prepared seeds mixture and stir for 2-3 minutes.
9. Then, add 240 gms sliced onions and fry till translucent or until it turns golden brown in color.
10. Add 1/2 tsp turmeric powder and mix it well.
11. Now, add bitter gourds in it and mix it well. cover it with lid and cook for 7-8 minutes on medium heat. open the lid and give it a nice stir.
12. Add 450 gms potatoes cut into cubes and mix it well. cover it with lid and cook for about 5 minutes on medium heat. open the lid and give it a nice stir.
13. Add 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp red chilli powder and cook it for 10 minutes. serve hot.
This recipe serves 2-3 people.