North indian, Mains
1. Take a pan and dry roast 3 tsp coriander seeds, 1 tsp cumin seeds, 1 tsp fennel seeds, 1 tsp black peppercorns and 3 whole red chillies on low heat for 2-3 minutes. cool and rough grind the masala.
2. Take out 4 tsp of this masala for the chicken and store the balance for future use.
3. Saute onion petals of 1 medium onion and 1 big cubed capsicum. keep it aside.
4. Take a kadhai and heat 4 tbsp oil. add 1 tsp cumin seeds and when it splutters, add 1 tsp coriander seeds and 3 whole dried red chillies.
5. Mix them once and then add 3 chopped onions. sauté for around 8 minutes on medium heat till the onions are light brown.
6. Now add 3 tsp ginger garlic paste and fry for 2 minutes till the raw smell is gone.
7. Add tomato purée of 3 medium tomatoes and fry on high to medium heat for 2-3 minutes till the purée is cooked.
8. Add 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, 1 tsp red chilli powder, 2 tsp coriander powder and salt to taste. mix well and fry for 2-3 minutes till the masalas are cooked and oil separates.
9. Add 750 gms chicken and fry on high heat for 5 minutes mixing it well.
10. Continue to bhuno the chicken pieces on medium heat for another 5 minutes so that they are browned and well coated with the masala.
11. Now switch off heat and add 4 tbsp whisked curd. mix it well and switch on heat. cook it for 4 minutes till the curd is cooked.
12. Now add 4 tsp of the kadai masala, mix and fry for 2 minutes. add 1/2 cup water. cover and cook for 10 minutes till chicken is soft.
13. Add the sautéed onion and capsicum. mix it well.
14. Now add 1/2 tsp garam masala powder. mix and cook for 2 minutes.
15. Add a handful of chopped coriander leaves, mix it well and simmer for 2 minutes. serve hot with roti.