Hyderabadi Dum Biryani (mutton)
Vahchef – VahRehVah
1. Heat oil in a pan, add 3 medium sized sliced onions and saute
Them till golden brown. once it cools, take out 1 medium size fried onion and crush the remaining 2 medium sized fried onions with hands and leave aside.
2. Marinate 650 gms mutton with 3 tsp lemon juice, 200 gm curd, 4 tsp ginger garlic paste, 2 tbsp mint leaves, 2 tbsp coriander leaves, 2 medium sized crushed fried onions, 1 tsp garam masala powder, 1/2 tsp cumin powder, 1 tsp red chilli powder, 1 tsp coriander powder, 1/2 tsp black pepper powder, 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, 1.5 tsp salt, 4 tbsp oil, 1 tsp raw papaya paste, 4 curshed green chillies. keep it in the fridge over night or for atleast 3 hours.
3. Soak 500 gm basmati rice in water for 1 hour.
4. In a vessel, add 4 litres water to boil. then add 3 inch cinnamon, 4 green cardamom, 3 bay leaves, 6 cloves, 1 tsp caraway seeds or shahzeera, 4 tsp salt, 3 tsp oil, 1 tsp lemon juice.
5. Now add the soaked basmati rice and mix well. let the rice get cooked till it is done up to only 70%. drain the water from the cooked rice and keep it separately.
6. Soak 10 to 12 saffron strands in 2 to 3 tsp milk and microwave for 30 seconds.
7. To the marinated mutton add a layer of cooked rice and garnish it with few fried onions, few coriander leaves, few mint leaves, soaked saffron milk, few fried cashews.
8.Then place another layer of rice on this and again add coriander leaves, few mint leaves, fried onions, saffron milk, clarified butter, fried cashew nuts.
9. Place aluminium foil on top of the vessel so that it gets sealed well and the steam does not come out.
10. Mostly dum is done using charcoal but as this is homemade we have to place the biryani vessel on an old pan .
11. First place an old pan on stove let it heat for 5 minutes. then place the vessel and let the flame be high for 10 minutes
12. Place the lid on the vessel and then lower the flame and let the vessel stay on pan for 30 minutes.
13. Mutton dum biryani is ready to serve. serve it with bagarey baingan and dahi ki chutney.