1. Wash the gongura leaves to remove any dirt or dust.in this recipe, the gongura leaves are chopped, but you can also use the leaves as a whole.
2. This recipe requires just one pot to cook. so take a pressure cooker preferably, and add the toor dal / split pogeon peas.
3. Add some water and turmeric powder to the dal.
4. Also add some finely chopped onions, slit green chillies and crushed garlic cloves.
5. Further, add the gongura leaves to the pressure cooker and pressure cook the ingredients for about 15 whistles on medium flame. since the gongura leaves are sour, the dal takes longer to cook evenly so make sure to cook them on a medium flame for a longer period of time.
6. After the pressure is released, open the pressure cooker, add salt and mash the dal along with the gongura leaves to get the flavors mixed.
7. Now to temper the dal, heat a small pan with some ghee
8. Add mustard seeds, urad dal / black gram skinned, dry red chillies, crushed garlic, hing / asafoetida powder, curry leaves and roast them in hot ghee to release their flavors.
9. Now add the tempered ingredients on top of the dal and mix it well.
10. Gongura pappu is ready to be served. it tastes best with steamed rice with a dollop of ghee.