Ghiya Chana Dal Ki Subji
North indian, Mains
Sanjeev Kapoor Khazana
1. In a pan heat 2 tbsp oil. add 1 tsp cumin seeds and let it brown for some time.
2. Add 2 whole dry red chillies, a pinch hing / asafoetida and saute for about 10 seconds.
3. Now add 1 tbsp chopped ginger, 1 tbsp chopped garlic and saute. to enhance the taste you can add 2 tbsp of desi ghee now.
4. Once the garlic is lightly browned, add 1 large chopped onion and saute further till the onions become brown.
5. Now add 2 finely chopped tomatoes and salt to taste.
6. Add the spices namely 1 tsp red chilli powder, 1.5 tbsp coriander powder, 1/2 tsp turmeric powder and cook for about 4-5 minutes.
7. Add 2 tbsp tamarind paste and cook for about 2 minutes.
8. Add 400 gms bottle gourd / lauki cut into small cubes and 1.5 cups boiled channa dal / bengal gram. cover and cook for about 15 minutes or until the bottle gourd is cooked.
9. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot.