North indian, Mains
TASTY RECIPE HUT
Preparing biryani rice
1. If using basmati rice, wash it and soak for atleast 30 minutes and drain it.
2. Bring 6 to 8 cups of water to a rapid boil. add spices, oil and salt. cook the rice till al dente and drain it to a colander.
3. If using jeerakasala rice, then just wash and drain the water.
4. Add ghee to a hot pot and saute the spices for a while. add drained rice and saute for 2 to 3 minutes.
5. Add salt and hot water (3½ cups) to the rice and cook until al dente cooked.
Preparing egg biryani gravy
6. Powder all the spices to make kerala garam masala. you can skip this step if you have ready kerala garam masala.
7. Heat ghee or oil and saute star anise, bay leaf, cinnamon, cloves and cardamom.
8. Add onions and fry until golden.
9. Saute ginger garlic until the raw smell goes away.
10. Then add tomatoes and salt. cook until the tomatoes turn mushy.
11. Add red chili powder, garam masala and turmeric. mix and cook just for a minute or 2.
12. Add eggs and saute with the masala for 2 minutes.
13. Pour coconut milk and stir. check the salt and spice. adjust if needed. egg biryani gravy is ready.
For egg biryani
14. Lower the flame of egg biryani completely. add coriander leaves and then spread rice.
15. Add ghee and coriander or mint leaves over the rice.
16. Cover the biryani pot with a tight lid. you can also use foil or moist cloth to trap the dum or steam. you can also use a plate and then place something heavy over it.
17. Cook for 10 minutes on the lowest, very low flame. if your stove doesn’t have a small burner, then heat up a old pan/ tawa and place the biryani pot over that. cook for 10 minutes.
18. Rest for 10 more minutes. squeeze in some lemon juice before serving.
19. Serve egg roast biryani with raita, or onion slices.
This recipe serves 2-3 people.