Dondakaya Curry (tindora Curry/ Ivy Gourd Curry)
rasoi with priya
1. First take the chana dal / bengal gram and boil it with enough water. the chana dal should be cooked but not mushy.
2. Put the oil in the pan and once heated add whole red chillies and mustard seeds. when the seeds crackle add cumin seeds.
3. Then add the crushed garlic and saute for few seconds. further add the onions and little salt.
4. When the onions are slightly cooked add the hing / asafoetida, turmeric powder and curry leaves.
5. Then add the tomatoes, red chilli powder, coriander powder. mix it and add the tindora's to it. add some water and salt to it.
6. Cover the pan and let it cook till the tomatoes and tindoras are cooked for 15 minutes.
7. When cooked add the cooked chana dal with its water. add a pinch of fennel powder and the garam masala.
8. Add the butter and let it cook for another 10 to 15 minutes till everything is cooked and mixed well.
9. The dal should not be too thin or too thick but of saucy consistency.
10. When cooked, check seasonings and garnish it with coriander leaves.