1. Firstly, in a bowl take 3 tbsp red lentils or masoor dal, 3 tbsp yellow split gram or moong dal and 2 tbsp split pigeon peas or toor dal. rinse well and soak for 30 minutes.
2. Now transfer the soaked dal to a pressure cooker. add 1 inch ginger, 2 garlic cloves, 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, 1/2 tsp salt and 2 cups water.
3. Cover and pressure cook for 2 whistles on medium flame. once the pressure releases, cool completely and transfer to the blender. blend to smooth paste.
4. Take the veggie dal paste to a large kadai. add 1/2 tsp blackpepper powder and 1.5 cups water. adjust the consistency as required. mix well and simmer for 5 minutes or until the flavours are well absorbed.
5. Finally, add 2 tbsp coriander leaves.
6. Dal soup is ready to serve.