Dal Bati Churma
For the churma
1. Combine 1 cup whole wheat flour, 1/4 cup semolina / rava / sooji and 4 tbsp melted ghee in a deep bowl and mix well. add approx. 1/4 cup of water and knead well to make a stiff dough.
2. Divide the dough into 8 equal portions.
3. Shape each dough portion in the shape of your fist and press with your fingers in the centre of each portion to make an indentation.
4. Heat the ghee in a deep non-stick kadhai and deep-fry a few dough portions at a time on a slow flame, till they are golden brown in colour from all the sides. these will take a long time to fry as the insides also need to be cooked.
5. Drain on an absorbent paper and allow them to cool.
6. Break the fried dough portions into small pieces with your hands and blend in a mixer into a fine powder.
7. Add 2 tbsp almonds, 1/4 tsp cardamom powder and 5 tbsp powdered sugar and mix well. keep aside.
For the dal
8. Clean and wash 5 tbsp chana dal / split bengal gram, 5 tbsp arhar dal / toor gram, 5 tbsp green moong dal / split green gram, 1 tbsp urad dal / split black lentils. combine the dals along with 4 cups of water and salt to taste in a pressure cooker, mix well and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
9. Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. do not drain the water and keep aside.
10. Heat 3 tbsp ghee in a deep non-stick kadhai, add 3 cloves, 2 bay leaves, 1 tsp cumin seeds, 2 slit green chillies and a pinch asafoetida / hing and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
11. When the seeds crackle, add 1 tsp garlic paste and 1 cup finely chopped onions and sauté on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes.
12. Add 1 cup finely chopped tomatoes, 1 tsp coriander powder, 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, 1 tbsp chilli powder and 1/2 tsp garam masala powder, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
13. Add the cooked dal along with the water and little salt to taste, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
14. Add 1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves and mix well. keep aside.
For the baati's
15. Combine all the ingredients namely 1 cup whole wheat flour, 1/2 cup semolina / rava / sooji, 2 tbsp gram flour / besan, 1/2 cup milk, 4 tbsp melted ghee, 1 tsp fennel seeds, 1/4 tsp caram seeds / ajwain, salt to taste in a deep bowl and knead into a semi-stiff dough, without using any water.
16. Divide the dough into 8 equal portions and shape each portion into an even sized round.
17. Flatten the rounds, make a small indentation in the center of the baatis using your thumb. keep aside.
18. Boil enough water in a deep non-stick kadhai, add all the baatis into the boiling water and cook on a high flame for 15 minutes, while turning them occasionally. drain and allow them to cool completely.
19. Heat the ghee in a deep non-stick kadhai, add 4 baatis at a time and deep-fry till they turn golden brown in colour from all the sides.
20. Repeat step to deep-fry the remaining 4 baatis in one more batch. drain on an absorbent paper and keep aside.
How to serve
21. Warm the dal again till piping hot.
22. Arrange 2 baatis on a serving dish, break them into pieces and pour 1 tbsp melted ghee evenly over it. pour 1/4 of the dal evenly over it. sprinkle 2 tbsp of finely chopped onions and 1/2 tsp lemon juice evenly over it.
23. Repeat step 21 to make more servings.