1. Dry roast 10 kashmiri red chillies, 1 tbsp coriander seeds, 1/2 tsp black peppercorns, 1 inch cinnamon, 1 star anise, 2 green cardamom, 5 cloves, 1/2 tsp fennel seeds, 2 tsp white poppy seeds, 1/2 tsp cumin seeds and then remove to cool.
2. Add 1/2 cup sliced onions, 8 cloves of sliced garlic and 1 cup grated coconut. cook till coconut and onion start to brown. turn the heat off and allow it to cool.
3. In a mixer, add the roasted dry spices, followed by the coconut-onion mixture.
4. Add 1/2 tsp turmeric powder and around 1/2 to 1 cup water and grind it to a smooth paste. (incase you have a plastic jar, add turmeric powder later while cooking, else it will make your jar yellow).
5. Melt some coconut oil, and saute 1/2 cup diced onions. add the masala paste and saute. saute till the colour changes. add salt to taste and 2 tsp jaggery.
6. Add 2 pounds crabs. mix well.
7. Soak 2 inch piece of tamarind pulp in 1/2 cup of hot water for 10 minutes. after 10 minutes, squeeze the tamarind with your fingers to extract the juice.
8. Add 2 cups water, more salt to taste and the tamarind juice extracted above. cover and cook.
9. Garnish with coriander leaves before serving.