North indian, Mains
1. Marinate the chicken pieces with turmeric powder, curd/yogurt & salt as specified. set aside for 30 minutes.
2. To make the paste, heat oil in a pan & add all the whole spices as specified above, sliced onions, ginger & garlic. mix well & fry it on medium heat for 4-5 minutes till the onions are soft & start changing colour. remove and cool.
3. Grind it into a coarse paste first, then add 3 tbsp of water & blend it into a smooth paste.
4. Make a purée of 2 medium sized tomatoes. alternatively use readymade tomato purée.
5. Heat oil in a kadai or pan & add the blended paste.
6. Sauté & stir on medium heat for around 4 minutes till the mixture is fried & oil separates. make sure the colour doesn’t become brown.
7. Now add the tomato purée and sauté for around 2 minutes till oil separates.
8. Add the red chilli powder, coriander and cumin powder, mix well and sauté on medium to low heat for around 5 minutes till oil separates. you can add a splash of water and continue sautéing if the masala tends to stick to the pan.
9. Now add the marinated chicken and fry & stir it on high heat for around 3 minutes. continue to bhunno(sauté)on medium heat for another 10 minutes. mix it well, lower heat to minimum and cover & cook for 5 minutes.
10. Remove lid, add garam masala powder, give a stir and then add 250 ml water and 1/4 tsp salt. mix it well and cover & cook on low heat for 15 minutes.
11. Now add the fenugreek leaves & amchoor powder. mix it and simmer for 3-4 minutes. serve hot with roti or rice.