South indian, Mains
1. Firstly, in a large kadai heat 3 tsp oil.
2. Further, add 1 tsp mustard seeds, 3/4 tsp urad dal / black gram skinned, 3/4 tsp chana dal / bengal gram, few curry leaves and pinch of hing / asafoetida. allow to splutter.
3. Now add 2 cups of finely chopped cabbage and saute for a minute.
4. Furthermore, add 3/4 tsp turmeric powder, 1 tsp jaggery / gud and salt to taste.
5. Additionally, add 1/4 cup of water and mix well. cover and cook for 5 minutes.
6. Now prepare the masala by blending 3 tbsp fresh coconut, 2 dried kashmiri red chillies and 3/4 tsp cumin seeds. blend to coarse paste without adding any water.
7. Add the masala paste to cabbage stir fry and give a good mix. simmer for 2 minutes so that cabbage absorbs flavours.
8. Finally, serve cabbage poriyal along with hot steamed rice or chapathi.