South indian, Mains
Dindigul Food Court
1. Firstly, in a kadai take ½ cup moong dal soaked for 30 minutes.
2. Add 2 cups water, cover and cook for 10 minutes. cook till the dal is half cooked.
3. Further, add 2 cups finely chopped cabbage, few curry leaves and ¼ tsp turmeric powder. mix well and cover and boil for 10 minutes.
4. Now in a blender take ½ cup grated coconut, 1 tsp cumin seeds, 1 tbsp soaked rice and 2 chilli.
5. Add ½ cup water and blend to smooth paste.
6. Add in prepared masala paste to the mixture, ¾ tsp salt, ½ cup water and mix well. cover and cook for 10 minutes or till coconut gets cooked completely.
7. Now prepare the tempering by heating 2 tsp oil.
8. Add 1 tsp mustard seeds, ½ tsp urad dal, few curry leaves, a pinch of hing and 1 dried red chilli.
9. Add the tempering to splutter and pour over kootu. mix well.
10. Finally, serve cabbage kootu / cabbage dal with hot steamed rice.